Welcome To my Blog

Thanks for stopping by.
I am using this blog to rant, rave & share the experiences of my day to day life as a working actor in Los Angeles. Enjoy the ride, I sure am!
By the way... Look just below and to the left. Yeah, right there, where it says... "Join This Site". Click it :)

Sunday, February 5, 2012

An Acting Lesson...

Let me be the first to say that I am not a fan of acting blogs... or classes.

Let me tell you why. It's because what works for one person may or may not (usually, may not) work for another. The thing about acting is that it is such a personal thing. Sorta like a singer's instrument is his/her voice, which is also very personal. A guitar doesn't have feelings about what it's playing... good or bad.
An actor's voice and choice(s), is always very personal and because it is so public, always open to scrutiny. So how can one person tell another person how to act?
I don't want to be that guy saying that acting classes are bad but I do believe, as in life, a person hones his or her chosen career not in the classroom but in his or her particular arena of choice. Actor's get their training "on the boards" just like a doctor get's his/her training as a resident, on live patients! Much scarier being a resident than an actor any day of the week...

I also still study but only when I haven't worked my instrument in a while and I need to build up my trust. Trust in myself mostly.
When I do go back I use one guy, who is an established actor and who's technique speaks to me like no other has.
My Acting Coach/Teacher/ Guru
Steve Eastin













http://eastinstudio.com/


I have read all of Stanislavski's books, even "My Life" and have studied Meisner, Adler and even Guskin. Over the years I have taken all sorts of classes from scene study to "on camera auditioning techniques" and here is the one thing I have learned from all of those classes...

Trust yourself.

That's it. That's the only acting advice I give anymore.

Why the hell am I even talking about this?  Mainly because at least once a week, many times more, I get an email or FB message that looks something like this...


"Hi J Michael, Let me just say first that you are a great actor. I am also interested in pursuing an acting career. Can you please tell me how to get started? What classes do you recommend and about how long it will take for me to get my first big role?..." ETC... ETC...

This is an example of one of the more thought out messages that I have received.
I no longer answer these emails or messages because 100% of the time the recipient doesn't like the answer. Many have sent back angry and insulting replies... Ce la vie.

So you are prolly asking right now, "Well what the hell do you tell these poor souls that make them so angry?"  Let me be the first to say, I am not an acting teacher, nor will I ever be... at least while I am still "doing".
What I say, is simply the truth. It is the most difficult career choice one can aspire to. There is no set timeline, no class, no formula that will get you where you want to be, or where you think you want to be. The simple truth can be summed up with two words... Ready?

Love and Trust 

That is all there is to having a successful acting career. I know... you don't believe it.
Let me quickly explain then end this discussion.

Love: what you do more than any other thing. (notice I didn't say anything else People belong in another kind of love).

Trust: yourself in every choice you make and never judge, only accept and embrace.

That is all I have to say about it. Think about it... you will figure it out, I know you will.
Pretty simple huh? :)

As always,
Much Love, Success and for God's sake, let go of the reins once in a while!

No comments:

Post a Comment